I tried this recipe about a year ago, the exact way it’s written except for the addition of meat. I wasn’t thrilled with it, until a friend said she subbed out the cabbage with broccoli slaw mix. I tried it again, and sweet success. Even the hubby, who is choosy *tongue firmly lodged in cheek* liked it well enough for one bowlful.
So, here we have the original version, with my tweaks following. I’m still waiting to hear if my version makes an E meal or an S.
Original Eggroll In a Bowl found here on Big Taste, Trim Waist blog, complete with THM meal designations.
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil (or oil of your choice if you don’t have sesame, but the sesame really makes the dish!)
- 1 lb. ground pork or beef (S) or lean ground turkey (E or FP)
- 6 cups finely sliced cabbage (about 1 medium head)
- 1 cup shredded carrots (4g carbs per ¼ cup serving so fine for this S meal)
- 1 medium onion
- chopped 3 cloves garlic
- finely chopped or minced 1 teaspoon ground ginger/ginger powder
- (if you choose fresh ginger for this recipe, you’ll need to use quite a bit and be sure it’s grated/minced very fine; I love fresh, but ground really works better in this recipe)
- ¼ cup coconut aminos (soy sauce alternative) or Bragg’s Amino
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Chicken Broth
- Optional: 2-3 green onion stalks, finely chopped
- Optional: ¼ tsp red pepper flakes adds a nice kick!
- Brown the ground pork (or beef) in large frying pan until fully cooked.
- Turn heat to medium-high and add chopped onion (not the green onions yet) and sesame oil, increase heat to lightly brown the onions.
- In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, ginger and aminos and add to pan, and then immediately add the sliced cabbage and stir.
- Cook for a few minutes, stirring often, so that it doesn’t burn and so all cabbage slightly wilts and reduces in size.
- Then add shredded carrots and cook for another few minutes.
- Turn off heat, add chopped green onions, salt and black pepper to taste, stir one last time and serve warm.
- Same great taste you’ll get in an eggroll, minus the deep fried wrapper, so MUCH healthier!
My version tweaks:
1 bag broccoli slaw instead of cabbage/carrots
1/2 c sliced red onion
3 mini bell peppers, sliced
1 bunch thin asparagus, top 3 inches cut into 1 in pieces
1 lb diced, cooked chicken for the meat (cooked in crock pot with a bit of organic broth and some butter)
I’ll disagree about the ginger, i used fresh and it’s very good 😉 According to the Fresh Taste blog, my version can be either an E or a Fuel Pull. I’m not eating it over any rice or quinoa. Enjoy whichever version you make!